Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong calculation of Canada Child Benefit

I have used Turbotax for the last few years.

I have automatically uploaded/prepopulated all fields based on my previous year (which is almost identical to the current year I am doing taxes for), plus all my T forms.

I have checked the year to year comparison to make sure all things are the same.

My child was still under 18, disabled, and my dependant during most of 2023, but the Canada Child Benefit calculated by  Turbo Tax was about a 5th of what was in the previous year.

I have also used the CRA calculator to estimate the Canada Child Benefit, using my income, and my child's date of birth, and the amount they provided is similar to last year, and basically almost 5 times higher than what Turbotax calculated. Nothing makes sense as it is a very simple return and almost exactly as last year, but the CCB calculated is dramatically different.  

Turbo tax is listing just One item - Canada child tax benefit being about half of what CRA calculator page sates.

Also CRA Calculator page lists another TWO items, which are NOT part of Turbotax return at all. These are:

Child Disability benefit

Ontario Child Benefit

I understand TurboTax wants me to pay extra to talk to someone, but I really do not need expert advice, just help understanding why TurboTax miscalculates that amount and how that can be fixed. 

Any suggestions and help in solving this are much appreciated.

1 Reply

Wrong calculation of Canada Child Benefit

You do not have to pay more to speak to our telephone support team. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If you do not reach a resolution please ask for an escalation to investigate and fix this.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.