Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reesecc
Returning Member

Wrong check in residency section.

Hello, I have a big trouble by my last tax return which was check wrong  one in residency section. I visited my country and came back to Canada from October 2019 to January 2020. However, I chose the residency status changed, even though My status was never changed. After this All my contribution room was gone and got the huge penalty by using TFSA. I sent the modification mail of the line number 52600 on June. how can I do to fix this? Is that every thing I can do now?

1 Reply

Wrong check in residency section.

Please follow this link from CRA on how to change your return.

You can try using Change My Return in  My Account or ReFILE.

If you send the adjustment by mail:

Send both of the following to your tax centre:

• a completed Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request
  • all supporting documents for the change, including those for the original assessment, unless you have already sent them to the CRA

Since you have sent a mail to the CRA, you need to wait until you receive a notice of assessment before you can send another adjustment (if the adjustment is rejected. Hopefully your request for adjustment is accepted, so you don’t need to submit another request). Due to COVID-19, expect delays of 10 to 12 weeks on processing paper T1 adjustments.

You can also contact CRA directly at 1-800-959-8281 and ask them about the status of your adjustment request.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.