Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you able to claim long term disability premiums paid to your company as a medical expense?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Are you able to claim long term disability premiums paid to your company as a medical expense?

No.  These premiums are not eligible medical expenses.  Only premiums paid for private health services plans can be claimed.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
fuzzy

No.  These premiums are not eligible medical expenses.  Only premiums paid for private health services plans can be claimed.

thank you very much
casadoda

@goofnewfsx2, did you mean "premiums paid *by* your company"?  I'm curious about this, too.  My premiums (health, dental, STD, LTD) come off my pay cheque.  But I do pay them, albeit through my employer to the insurance company.  In this case are premiums eligible?  Thanks.

The premiums that you paid only matter if the employer also paid at least part of them. In that case, the premiums you paid become deductible against any benefits that you get from that insurance. This is because if your employer paid any part of that insurance, the benefits becomes taxable income.
tuccigirl

I am on LTD from my employer (Fed Gov't).  They sent me a letter indicating that I could make a one-time claim of all of the premiums I had paid into the Long-Term Disability Plan at work, over the course of my employment (provided I had not claimed this before, which I haven't).  My employer sent me an official receipt with the total amount I had paid since becoming an employee.  I am looking where to claim this - any help would be so greatly appreciated.  Many thankis.

There is no specific spot to claim the preimums paid. Instead, you simply deduct them from the benefits received and put the new total. You keep that official receipt to justify it if ever proof is requested.

Did you figure this out, I also received this letter from my federal employer and confused what I am suppose to do with it.

Thanks

The disability insurance premiums cannot be written off as a medical expense for tax purposes as it is considered a personal expense by the income tax act. It's the same tax treatment as life insurance premiums. They also don't qualify for the medical expense tax credit, unlike health and dental insurance premiums.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.