Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alwade7

Can I use dental; optometrist; massage therapy and drug prescriptions for my tax return? I have a benefit plan but they pay only a certain amount and I pay the remainder.

How do I now claim these medical expenses as yesterday I filed my return with you guys 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I use dental; optometrist; massage therapy and drug prescriptions for my tax return? I have a benefit plan but they pay only a certain amount and I pay the remainder.

Expenses for prescriptions, eye exams and dental work (not including cosmetic work) are eligible medical expenses. Massage therapy is accepted in some provinces but not others. If you are a resident of BC, New Brunswick, Ontario or Newfoundland, you can claim the expense.

Since you have already filed your return, you'll need to make an adjustment after CRA has processed your return and sent your Notice of Assessment. 

Keep in mind that medical expenses are not deductible in full. The first 3% of your net income is used to calculate the actual claim. For example, if your net income is $30,000, the first $900 of your medical expenses are not deductible ($30,000 X .03 = $900). If your medical expenses total $950, only $50 will end up as a deduction.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Expenses for prescriptions, eye exams and dental work (not including cosmetic work) are eligible medical expenses. Massage therapy is accepted in some provinces but not others. If you are a resident of BC, New Brunswick, Ontario or Newfoundland, you can claim the expense.

Since you have already filed your return, you'll need to make an adjustment after CRA has processed your return and sent your Notice of Assessment. 

Keep in mind that medical expenses are not deductible in full. The first 3% of your net income is used to calculate the actual claim. For example, if your net income is $30,000, the first $900 of your medical expenses are not deductible ($30,000 X .03 = $900). If your medical expenses total $950, only $50 will end up as a deduction.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

anesh002

How exactly do you put through expenses for massage therapy?

@anesh002,

This question may lead to other questions, therefore I have included below our FAQ link containing other answers

related to claiming medical expenses.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-credits-expenses/help/how-do-i-enter-my-medical-e...