Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
modemom1

I cannot change who are you preparing the return for. made a mistake and pressed wrong button. how can I correct?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I cannot change who are you preparing the return for. made a mistake and pressed wrong button. how can I correct?

Do you mean the identity of the person that you are creating the return for?

For TurboTax Online 2017, to change the name, SIN number or other contact info, click on the “Setting Up” tab and select “[Name]’s Personal Info”. If don’t see the “Setting Up” tab, click the grey "Back" button to go back through the pages to get to the “[NAME], let's get the rest of your personal info”.

For TurboTax Online 2018, to change the name or SIN number, select “[Your Name]’s Personal Information” from under “My Info” in the left side menu. To change contact info, select “Contact Information” from under “My Info” in the left side menu. If you don’t see anything but “My Account & Returns” in the left side menu, use the back button to get back to the correct page. You can also continue forward, and when the full menu unlocks, you can select the right page from the menu.

Do you mean the option where you are asked “Let's get started. Who are you preparing this return for?” (Myself, My Spouse/Partner and Me or Someone Else)? Unfortunately, once you have past that point, you can no longer go back and change your answer. You would have to create a new return.

To create a new return in TurboTax Online 2017, click on “Tools” in the black menu in the top right, and select “Return Manager”. You can create a new return by scrolling to the bottom of the list and clicking "Continue" next to "Start a new 2017 return".

To create a new return in TurboTax Online 2018, click on “My Account & Returns” in the left side menu, then select “Start A New Return”.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Do you mean the identity of the person that you are creating the return for?

For TurboTax Online 2017, to change the name, SIN number or other contact info, click on the “Setting Up” tab and select “[Name]’s Personal Info”. If don’t see the “Setting Up” tab, click the grey "Back" button to go back through the pages to get to the “[NAME], let's get the rest of your personal info”.

For TurboTax Online 2018, to change the name or SIN number, select “[Your Name]’s Personal Information” from under “My Info” in the left side menu. To change contact info, select “Contact Information” from under “My Info” in the left side menu. If you don’t see anything but “My Account & Returns” in the left side menu, use the back button to get back to the correct page. You can also continue forward, and when the full menu unlocks, you can select the right page from the menu.

Do you mean the option where you are asked “Let's get started. Who are you preparing this return for?” (Myself, My Spouse/Partner and Me or Someone Else)? Unfortunately, once you have past that point, you can no longer go back and change your answer. You would have to create a new return.

To create a new return in TurboTax Online 2017, click on “Tools” in the black menu in the top right, and select “Return Manager”. You can create a new return by scrolling to the bottom of the list and clicking "Continue" next to "Start a new 2017 return".

To create a new return in TurboTax Online 2018, click on “My Account & Returns” in the left side menu, then select “Start A New Return”.