Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim both the disability amount as well as the maximum Attendant care expense in Ontario of $14065 (2017)?

If I claim the disability amount on my mother's tax return, I am still able to claim $10,000 for attendant care on my federal medical expenses.  But as well, for 2017, I am able to claim $14065 in attendant care on my Ontario medical expenses.  I cannot figure out how I would enter different amounts for federal and for Ontario medical expenses.  Any help on this would be great.  Does TurboTax even have this ability?   Note that this does not mean the Medical expenses are capped at $10,000, but rather that Attendant Care is maximum of $10,000.  It is possible to claim more than $10,000 in medical expenses on the federal form.

8 Replies

How do I claim both the disability amount as well as the maximum Attendant care expense in Ontario of $14065 (2017)?

I checked on the CRA site "Information for Residents of Ontario" and found this for Line 5868 :  "Line 5868 – Medical expenses for self, spouse or
common-law partner, and your dependent
children born in 2000 or later
The medical expenses you can claim on line 5868 are the
same as those you can claim on line 330 of your federal
Schedule 1, except for the following:
■ if the amount you claimed for medical expenses on your
federal Schedule 1 includes an amount for attendant care
expenses that was limited to $10,000 ($20,000 in the year
of death), the maximum Ontario claim for attendant care
expenses is $14,065 ($28,130 in the year of death);
■ the maximum Ontario claim for the cost of a van adapted
for transporting a patient who requires the use of a
wheelchair is $7,033; and
■ the maximum Ontario claim for moving expenses for a
patient’s move to a more accessible dwelling is $2,813."

Anyone have any idea how to enter this in TurboTax?  It's clearly correct information but there is no way to differentiate Medical Expenses for federal and Ontario with different amounts.

Found the answer thanks to the TurboTax Facebook site.  The bottom of the Medical worksheet has a section for "other medical expenses" that have maximums.  I was able to enter the full amount of Attendant Care there and it propagated to both the Ontario tax and the Federal Tax calculations.
jldel

This solution, adding the disability amount on the Medical Worksheet, works for tax year 2017 but not tax year 2018.  For TurboTax in 2018, adding disability on the Med Worksheet requires an override, which then prohibits you from using Netfile.  So it's still a problem.
dianajw1
Returning Member

Hi,  are you using the web-based TurboTax or the PC version?  I just entered both disability tax credit "YES" on the DTC form and also 10k medical expenses PLUS entered $14318 farther down the Medical worksheet form under "Disability supports expenses not claimed elsewhere on any return".  This is the correct place to put it.  It worked for me but I'm on the PC version of Turbo Tax.  Maybe you weren't aware of the DTC form??
jldel

We use the PC version.  We knew about the DTC, that worked OK, but the TurboTax support person advised us to use the Medical Worksheet, 2nd last line, "Extra allowable portion of medical expenses eligible only for Ontario purposes" to enter amounts in excess of the $10,000 federal cap.  Doing it that way required an Override and hence the Netfile problem.
But your solution using the "Disability supports..." line does work well, plus we can notate it in the "Expenses for" line above.  That should work nicely.  Many, many thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.
dianajw1
Returning Member

Glad to help.  Just so you know, the disability supports line on the worksheet will automatically put $10,000 into the federal tax calculation and also put the Ontario amount of $14318 in the correct Ontario tax calculation.  (check at the bottom of the worksheet and you will see this).  So you do not have to fuss with any other fields. Assuming of course that you have that much to claim.  Also, while I'm not sure you are in the same situation as I am, but my mother passed away last year and I've just been discovering all sorts of additional things available for her final tax return in 2018.  It's worth looking at these ahead of time to minimize work later on.  For her return, it turns out I am farther ahead NOT claiming the disability amount and claiming all of her care as medical expenses.  But it's really depends on your situation.  As well, medical expenses can cover 24 months for the final return....
Patricksafi
Returning Member

I am having the same issue as you  for my mother-in-laws final return (2020). 

For the 2020 tax return , Turbotax requires an override on the second to last line "extra allowable portion of medical expenses eligible only for Ontario purposes" on the Medical Expenses Worksheet.

In my mother-in-laws case,  attendant care costs were $26,802. $20000 is allowable federally and the entire amount in Ontario. It is advantageous to also claim the disability tax credit.

Do you know of anyway to put an amount in the "extra allowable expense..." line without doing an override ?

Thanks

Devoted_guy
Returning Member

HI,

I think I'm facing the same situation for my mother-in-law.  

Facts:  Qualifies for DTC (approved); resident of Ontario

Attendant care expenses of $48,341.48 incurred in 2022.  

Using PC version of Turbotax.

I understand that she cannot claim the DTC + her attendant care expenses in the same year.  I'm still deciding as to whether to claim the DTC this year and try to carry over her attendant care expenses as "Medical Expenses" into the future but that's another issue.   As the attendant care expenses are large, I believe the best option will be to enter them as medical expenses BUT I think I'm subject to certain limitations as she is a resident of Ontario.  How does one enter these amounts in Turbotax?     

Thanks.