Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahalinaty

I entered my SIN incorrectly and already NETFILED; what should I do?

Hello,

I entered my SIN number INCORRECTLY and already NETFILED my return which was accepted. I usually do my own taxes but this year, my father did them, and I believe he may have entered his own SIN (I'm not certain and am still waiting confirmation; he already got his return, FYI). In any case, when I log in to my CRA My Account it says my 2017 return is not yet received because of course the SIN doesn't match my own. It says to make changes I need to wait for my notice of assessment, but will the CRA even assess my taxes if my information is attached to the wrong SIN number? Can I file again with my own SIN number and somehow void the return with the wrong SIN? I'm just unsure of how to proceed because all the info online that says to wait for your NOA doesn't address an incorrect SIN - and because that's how the government identifies if you've filed, I'm not sure if the return I filed will even get assessed - and it almost certainly won't get direct deposited in to my account. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ahalinaty

FYI for anyone wondering, the SIN that was entered on my return was my sister's SIN. I contacted the CRA and they said:

- Since her taxes were already filed, NETFILE absolutely would reject another return with her SIN attached to it (it didn't, we got a confirmation of filing, lol)

- They checked her account and said that if a duplicate filing with her SIN was submitted it would trigger a reassessment for her and she could maybe stop it (it didn't trigger a reassessment, her account was fine).

- They told me to go ahead and file again with my correct SIN number.

So, despite some of the above not making sense, what I believe probably happened since I was able to NETFILE was that it created a new "person" or something. But she said it is attached to SIN, so it shouldn't, but I don't know. In any case, she told me to file normally with my correct SIN and since no return was received on my account yet it will allow it.

I'm hoping I don't get some fraud thing now since it'll technically be two returns I've filed, but this was what the CRA told me to do (a manager was on the line, as well.).

To complicate things, my SIN was also entered incorrectly on my wife's return (again, it was my sister's SIN). Her return was received but it was still too soon to tell if it had been flagged for review. I was informed one of two things would happen with her return:

1. She'll receive her refund and NOA as normal, and then we'll need to file a correction (which won't change anything) to correct my (as her spouse) SIN on her return, or;

2. She'll be contacted by the CRA to verify her spouse's SIN, if her marital status changed, or something to that effect, and require the change to be made before issuing her refund, but this may be less likely.

In any case, they weren't very confident in either response, and for all intents and purposes told me that filing my return with my sister's SIN, since she had already filed, would definitely be rejected. It wasn't. But still, they said her account looked fine, my account showed no return, so they told me to file again anyways.

I've noted the date and time of my call just in case I have any issues down the line... oh boy. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ahalinaty

FYI for anyone wondering, the SIN that was entered on my return was my sister's SIN. I contacted the CRA and they said:

- Since her taxes were already filed, NETFILE absolutely would reject another return with her SIN attached to it (it didn't, we got a confirmation of filing, lol)

- They checked her account and said that if a duplicate filing with her SIN was submitted it would trigger a reassessment for her and she could maybe stop it (it didn't trigger a reassessment, her account was fine).

- They told me to go ahead and file again with my correct SIN number.

So, despite some of the above not making sense, what I believe probably happened since I was able to NETFILE was that it created a new "person" or something. But she said it is attached to SIN, so it shouldn't, but I don't know. In any case, she told me to file normally with my correct SIN and since no return was received on my account yet it will allow it.

I'm hoping I don't get some fraud thing now since it'll technically be two returns I've filed, but this was what the CRA told me to do (a manager was on the line, as well.).

To complicate things, my SIN was also entered incorrectly on my wife's return (again, it was my sister's SIN). Her return was received but it was still too soon to tell if it had been flagged for review. I was informed one of two things would happen with her return:

1. She'll receive her refund and NOA as normal, and then we'll need to file a correction (which won't change anything) to correct my (as her spouse) SIN on her return, or;

2. She'll be contacted by the CRA to verify her spouse's SIN, if her marital status changed, or something to that effect, and require the change to be made before issuing her refund, but this may be less likely.

In any case, they weren't very confident in either response, and for all intents and purposes told me that filing my return with my sister's SIN, since she had already filed, would definitely be rejected. It wasn't. But still, they said her account looked fine, my account showed no return, so they told me to file again anyways.

I've noted the date and time of my call just in case I have any issues down the line... oh boy. 

You should contact the CRA and see what they advise: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647704