Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I include the cost of admission, exams and registration for professional engineers association in the income tax forms? Do I get a rebate by entering these costs?

In 2018 I registered as a professional engineer in APEGM and later on in APEGA. I paid assessment, exam and registration fees throuout the process. My employer didn't ask for this and nothing is shown on my T4. Which one these fees can I enter as part of union expenses. Do I get a rebate by entering these costs? I am fairly new to tax filing.

1 Reply

Can I include the cost of admission, exams and registration for professional engineers association in the income tax forms? Do I get a rebate by entering these costs?

Generally Admission and Exam fees paid do not fall under "Union Dues", these are considered to be "Tuition Fees".

Your Registration Fees paid to either an association or organization "may" be considered a Union Due, but you will need an official receipt issued to you by the organization in order to make the claim.

You will not see anything on the T4 from your employer, your "tax deductible receipts" will be issued by the organization or union. These receipts are probably not issued yet this year, but if you do not receive them, you can contact the organization and request them in due time. 

Neither one of these deductions is an actual "rebate", one reduces your taxable income and one reduces your tax owing. The bottom line is both will result in slightly larger refund or smaller balance due. 🙂