Will I be able carry forward all information and data from 2017 into my 2018 return using Turbo Tax or I need to get something from my accountant?

Last 10 years or so we have been filing our taxes through an accountant. We do have copies of all T1Generals including that of 2017 in detail. 


Unless your accountant used TurboTax Cd/Download and can provide you with the .tt17 file for your return, you’ll most likely have to manually input your information from 2017. However, if you have My Account setup with the CRA, you can the Auto-Fill feature to get your t-slips imported into the software.

Here is how to use the Auto-fill My Return service in TurboTax Online:

Before you begin, register for My Account

If you’d like to use CRA’s Auto-fill my return service to automatically fill out part of your tax return, you need to be registered for Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s My Account. Follow these step-by-step instructions to register.


Note: You do not have to use Auto-fill my return to complete your tax return.


How to use CRA’s Auto-fill my return service

1. In the upper-right area of TurboTax, select Find.

Note: If you don’t see the Find button, you may not have completed the Setting up section of your return. Continue through the Setting up section until the Find button appears.

2. In the Find window, type “Auto-Fill.”

3. From the list of search results, select Auto-Fill My Return, then select Go.

4. On the <Name>, get a jump start on your tax return step, select Continue.

5. On the Let’s import your info step, select Launch CRA site.

6. Follow the steps to download your slips and other information.


Service availability

CRA’s Auto-fill service opens for the 2018 tax year on February 18, 2019.




Related information


Here’s some information on transferring information from year to year: 

Please note:

  • Transfer of prior year returns into TurboTax Free editions is not supported unless you purchase the Plus bundle.
  • Specifically, transfer of TurboTax CD/Download tax year 2015 files into TurboTax Online for tax year 2016 is not supported.

Transfer from a prior year is done at the start of a new return. If you’ve already started a TurboTax Online return, you can still transfer your information by starting a new one.

Here’s how to transfer information from your prior tax return:


If you used TurboTax Online last year

  1. Browse to TurboTax.ca and, in the upper-right corner, select Sign In and then Start or Continue My 2018 Tax Return. Your credentials are the same ones you used last year.
  2. On the “Great to see you again!” page, beside Start a new 2018 return, select Continue.
  3. On the “Welcome back!” screen, where it says From last year, which of your completed tax returns do you want to transfer?, select the tax return that contains the information you’d like to transfer, and then select Continue.

If you used TurboTax CD/Download last year

1. Browse to TurboTax.ca and, in the upper-right corner, select Sign In and then Start or Continue My 2018 Tax Return.

2. If you have a TurboTax Online account, follow the prompts to sign in; your credentials are the same ones you used last year. If you don’t have an account, follow the prompts to create one and then sign in.

  • If you have already have a TurboTax Online account: After you sign in, on the “Great to see you again!” page, beside Start a new 2018 return, select Continue. Select the TurboTax Online product you’d like to use (you can choose any product except Free) and then select Start.

3. On the “Let’s see if we can save you some time” screen, TurboTax will prompt you to indicate which product you used last year. Where it says Did you use TurboTax last year?, select Yes. Where it says Which product did you use?, select TurboTax CD/Download and then select Continue.

4. Select Choose File. Browse to and select your prior year TurboTax CD/Download file, and then select Continue.



Additional notes:

  • Selective (or partial) transfer of info from the prior year is not supported
  • You can edit or delete any info that transfers; edit it the same way you would if you had entered it manually
  • You can only transfer from the prior year when you start a new return for the current year; you can’t transfer into a current year return you’ve already started


Related information


Was this answer helpful? Yes No
TurboTaxSusan , Moderator

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community