Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife has no income, I support her. We had dentist expenses (partly covered by insurance),can I claim the remaining value under her?

Turbotax says that to claim under me it'd need to be over X (minimum amount, under that you aren't eligible to receive a tax benefit), and under her it needs to be over 0.00, but it suggests filling under me. 
Can I actually file this under her for the benefit?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife has no income, I support her. We had dentist expenses (partly covered by insurance),can I claim the remaining value under her?

If you are using TurboTax Online, unfortunately there is no way to change who gets to claim the medical receipts. You would have to do your returns separately.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647641

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you are using TurboTax Online, unfortunately there is no way to change who gets to claim the medical receipts. You would have to do your returns separately.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647641

ctlyf

Unless I'm mistaken, medical expenses, like donation receipts, are a non-refundable tax credit, meaning they reduce the amount of income tax you pay. While you wife would have a lower threshold for claiming expenses, since she had no income, she also would not have paid any income tax. As a result, there is no income tax against which she could claim the tax credit. This is likely why the program is suggesting you should be claiming them.

Do you pay your premiums on your medical insurance, either directly, or through payroll deductions? If so, those premiums can be claimed as medical expenses, along with any deductible you've had to pay for medical services or prescriptions.