Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received error message, when I tried to netfile my taxes.

We're sorry, the Canada Revenue Agency was unable to accept your NETFILE tax return. Message from the CRA: The Canada Revenue Agency was unable to process your return. Our records indicate you are not filing an income tax return for the first time with the Canada Revenue Agency. Please go back in your software and ensure you do not identify yourself as someone who is filing an income tax return for the first time and submit your tax return again. If you require assistance, please contact your tax preparation software provider

Me and my wife as submitted our tax together. This is our first time as we are new to Canada. My File got the above error and my wife submission was processed successfully. I have already tried this 3 times. Do let me know if this is a technical issue, or should i connect with CRA. 

1 Reply

Received error message, when I tried to netfile my taxes.

Usually when you are a newcomer to Canada and a first time filer, you must "paper file" your first tax return to CRA. But your wife's return filed successfully and the CRA is saying you are not a first time filer.

Please return to My Info > Taxpayer's Personal Information > answer NO to the question "Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time?". Then return to the File section and attempt to NetFile your return again.

If you are unsuccessful again, then you should contact CRA @ 1-800-959-8281