Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eduffley
Returning Member

I am filing as single, I changed to common law to see if there was a difference. Now when I select single, in the review process it says I cannot have spousal information

5 Replies

I am filing as single, I changed to common law to see if there was a difference. Now when I select single, in the review process it says I cannot have spousal information

• If you initially entered "single" then changed it to "common law" you would have had to enter your partner's information, which is why you are getting a warning in the Review process. Go back and ensure you remove anything you have entered about your partner.  
  • Alternately, you should start a new return as you may have inadvertently claimed credits or deductions based on your "common law" entries even if you changed your marital status back to "single".
Eduffley
Returning Member

I can change back to common law and continue the prompts until I find the information about my spouse. I delete all the information and save but cannot return to change to single after deleting all the information. This appears to be a flaw on the end of turbo tax as there are many other questions from other people referring to the exact same issues without any resolve.

I have already paid for the service. If I have to start all over again from the beginning due to your flaw, am I going to have to pay again??

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you started the process with two returns because you answered yes to "file together" > then you will not be able to change it back to single because you will have her return attached to yours.

You have to start a new return from scratch as and file separately whether you are filing single or married to be able to change between both marital statuses.

I hope this was helpful

Eduffley
Returning Member

I have started the entire process over again and am successful without errors. However it wants me to pay AGAIN when I haven't been able to use what I have already paid for!

You will need to delete your old return- https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/navigating-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-a-return-in-...

Then open up your new return and go to the "Review" section and it should work. 

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us on private chat on Facebook or Twitter.