Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I entered the wrong SIN and can't find out how to change it. The field does not allow me to enter into it.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I entered the wrong SIN and can't find out how to change it. The field does not allow me to enter into it.

If you have entered the wrong SIN Number and you are already at the REVIEW or FILE section then you will not be able to update it. You will need to start a new return if you went to personal information and clicked on EDIT and weren't able to update your SIN.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If you have entered the wrong SIN Number and you are already at the REVIEW or FILE section then you will not be able to update it. You will need to start a new return if you went to personal information and clicked on EDIT and weren't able to update your SIN.

bandzh

This is a joint return and already netfiled on return, do I have to start another return for both people, have already paid for two returns
bandzh

should read have already filed one return

If you entered the wrong SIN number you will need to contact CRA immediately to advise. If it doesn't match what is on record with CRA it will be rejected. If this is your first time filing you will need to print and mail your return.

Why can't turbotax simply unlock that box so I can edit the wrong SIN number?  I also filed my return before we noticed my wife's return was wrong. So now I have to wait until April 20th as CRA won't accept personal queries that aren't CERB related.  And then have to refile.  If you were to allow me to make change it and unlock this field it would be easy. 

And when I say wrong I mean we messed up the SIN number originally. 

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Refile an already-filed return which is in progress with CRA is not allowed by CRA rules, not TurboTax. They will not disregard the original file to look into a newer one if both were sent electronically this is why they don't allow the second one to be sent unless the first one is finalized.

If you insist,  you can mail a new return and wait for a longer process.

If both returns are prepared together, it means that the software had optimized the returns to interchanged expenses, deductions or split income between the returns. If one is filed, you cannot change the other. At this point, you have to start a new return if you want to change one of the returns. 

Ivanesse

You contradict yourself. you say:

Refile an already-filed return which is in progress with CRA is not allowed by CRA rules” 

and then you say:

“If one is filed, you cannot change the other. At this point, you have to start a new return”

I am I  the same boat as the gentleman who’s wife’s SIN was input wrong. My return netfiled successfully. Hers was blocked. And now I can’t update her SIN. 

please provide coherent instructions on how to proceed