Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I submit my US donations if my only source of US income is a dividend paid to me by US Corp? The total amount of my donations exceeds dividend amount on my 1042-S.

1 Reply

Can I submit my US donations if my only source of US income is a dividend paid to me by US Corp? The total amount of my donations exceeds dividend amount on my 1042-S.

You are not able to claim the US. charitable donations against your Canadian income.  The only exceptions are the United Nations and its agencies and registered universities outside Canada that are prescribed to be universities that have a student body that ordinarily includes students from Canada as seen in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Which donations can I claim?

As per the CRA Gifts and Income Tax 2021 You can claim the eligible amount of your U.S. gifts up to 75% of the net U.S.-source income you report on your Canadian return. However, you may be able to claim the eligible amount of your gifts to U.S. organizations up to 75% of your net world income. You can do this if the gift would be allowed as a deduction under the United States Internal Revenue Code and you meet all the following conditions:

• you live near the border in Canada throughout the year
  • commute to your principal workplace or business in the United States
  • that employment or business was your main source of income for the year.

Similarly, your claim will also not be restricted to net U.S.-source income if your gift is to a U.S. college or university at which you or a member of your family is or was enrolled or if your gift is to a registered U.S. university as referenced in the list of qualified donees above.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.