Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Claim Therapy with Social Worker


My spouse is able to claim the Disability Tax Credit for a mental illness.

Can counselling sessions with a social worker be claimed as a medical expense?


If so, do you need a prescription or a note from your doctor? The government documentation says it should be "supervised by a medical professional".




1 Reply

Claim Therapy with Social Worker

If the counselling is considered “therapy”, then you can claim the expense, if it was prescribed. If there was no prescription, then you probably can’t claim it. You can always double check with the CRA. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: