Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to report principal residence designation for deceased co-owner ?

My Dad passed away. His 50% share of his principal residence was transferred to my Mom, co-owner of the residence. Do i report the principal residence designation on his final tax return or do i wait until my Mom passes away and report a designation on her final return ? If i report the designation on my Dad's return, i believe the ACB and proceeds of disposition are the same amount. But are the amounts at 50% share of the residence ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Very sorry to hear of your loss. You'll need to report this on your Dad's final return, it's considered to be a "deemed disposition". 

When completing your father's return, in the Profile section of his return, you'll need to answer "Yes" to the question "did you dispose of a property in 2018 that was your principal residence". Then as you continue through your EasyStep interview, you will come to the section "Sale of your Principal Residence". Here you will enter the details of your father's share of the property, and even be asked if it was disposed of as a result of his death.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did they answer your question about 50% share? I asked the same question with no response.

@rainbow4rent  Hopefully the answer below helps you out :relieved: It doesn't appear that we have any other questions posted from you in this forum.

I had asked  by directly asking via my FB page.  The answer was yes on the forum and no on FB messenger..Not sure which answer to take..Also,  can  the deceased still claim his wife  on final return?

Very sorry to hear of your loss. You'll need to report this on your Dad's final return, it's considered to be a "deemed disposition". 

When completing your father's return, in the Profile section of his return, you'll need to answer "Yes" to the question "did you dispose of a property in 2018 that was your principal residence". Then as you continue through your EasyStep interview, you will come to the section "Sale of your Principal Residence". Here you will enter the details of your father's share of the property, and even be asked if it was disposed of as a result of his death.