Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wpilgrim

Does Turbo Tax automatically calculate the Northern Residents deduction?? my return shows ZERO deduction??

I have always claimed Northern Residents benefits -- my summary of Turbo Tax shows ZERO deduction for the Northern Residents line ?? Where do I enter my data??

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does Turbo Tax automatically calculate the Northern Residents deduction?? my return shows ZERO deduction??

Hello,

In the Profile section (on the second  What happened for you in 2014? screen), you'll see the following question: are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?

Click Yes. 

Then, select the I live in a remote area and qualify for the northern residents deduction checkbox.

Please post back if you have any other questions,

Jacquelyn

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hello,

In the Profile section (on the second  What happened for you in 2014? screen), you'll see the following question: are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?

Click Yes. 

Then, select the I live in a remote area and qualify for the northern residents deduction checkbox.

Please post back if you have any other questions,

Jacquelyn

mpinsker

I had the opposite problem. I went to the Profile section as you claimed and made sure it said "NO" to other deductions but still my return says I am claiming a Northern Residents Deduction. I am not a Northern resident! I live in Toronto! How do I get out of asking for this deduction?
kryce

Me too, but I am in BC!
daleo717

yep me too
frhue1

Happened to me in 2021, inserted a $10,718  deduction, and again this year $2,748. Their is a glitch in the program(premier). Do not know how to fix it, except to refile using line 256000? Is  anybody  able to provide a better solution?

Can you please let me know which TurboTax version you are using - Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business? Online or Download version? Then I will be able to assist you further.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax