Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LG5

If my medical expenses are just a little over the minimum amount (3% of my income), is it worth the trouble to claim them?

How significant is the tax credit when medical expenses are claimed?
Thank you!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my medical expenses are just a little over the minimum amount (3% of my income), is it worth the trouble to claim them?

How much of a savings this will give you will depend on your income and provincial tax rates. You'll be able to claim only medical expenses above the lesser of $2,208 or 3% of your net income.

For example if you make $60,000 you'll be able to claim the amount over $1,800 you've paid. So if you've paid 3.5% ($2,100) of your total income in medical expenses you'll be able to claim a $300 deduction on your return, which may net out to approximately $100 (depending on your provincial tax rate).

Personally I would claim the deduction. The CRA doesn't need you to itemize your receipts so you can just tally all of your receipts and enter the totals into TurboTax.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

How much of a savings this will give you will depend on your income and provincial tax rates. You'll be able to claim only medical expenses above the lesser of $2,208 or 3% of your net income.

For example if you make $60,000 you'll be able to claim the amount over $1,800 you've paid. So if you've paid 3.5% ($2,100) of your total income in medical expenses you'll be able to claim a $300 deduction on your return, which may net out to approximately $100 (depending on your provincial tax rate).

Personally I would claim the deduction. The CRA doesn't need you to itemize your receipts so you can just tally all of your receipts and enter the totals into TurboTax.

LG5

Thank you, Jocelyn! If I tally the receipts and enter the total, what do I enter in the"date" field since there were multiple dates on which the expenses were incurred?

I would choose the date of the last (most recent) medical receipt.