Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I change who receives my child's Disability Tax Credit in turbo Tax? It automatically gives it to the person who has the highest income. Should be in my name

1 Reply

How to I change who receives my child's Disability Tax Credit in turbo Tax? It automatically gives it to the person who has the highest income. Should be in my name

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

It is always best to claim by the person with a higher income.  

Software optimizes automatically to reduce tax payable, thereby reducing taxes

As per our TurboTax article A Guide to the Disability Tax Credit Your eligibility to claim their DTC depends on whether you claimed a dependent amount for that person on line 30500, or could have claimed that amount if you did not have a spouse or common-law partner.

According to our TurboTax article Is the Disability Tax Credit transferable from a dependent? To transfer the DTC, the transferee’s name (yours) must appear on the dependent person’s DTC certificate. The certificate must have been completed and certified by a medical professional and approved by the CRA. The DTC application process is set out on the CRA website.

Please visit the link provided for further clarifications:

CRA: Disability tax credit (DTC)

TurboTax: How do I claim the disability tax credit?

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.