Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwaneng
Returning Member

I am a single mum with no partner or spouse. I have tried to claim child daycare expenses and they are not showing up on my return?

11 Replies

I am a single mum with no partner or spouse. I have tried to claim child daycare expenses and they are not showing up on my return?

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

jwaneng
Returning Member

using on line turbo

Do you see an amount on Line 21400 of your detailed tax summary? Was the child under 16 years of age at any time in 2023? Was the child's net income in 2023 $15,000 or less? Did the child live with you?

jwaneng
Returning Member

Both children are under sixteen and earned no income. They both attended daycare.

Since there is no partner and no father I was able to claim the one child as an equivalent to spouse. Is that the reason I can't claim daycare expenses.

There are no costs showing up on line 21400

Is anyone else claiming support for your child?

Please see the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) Line 21400 – Child care expenses to see if you are eligible.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

jwaneng
Returning Member

There is no amount appearing on line 21400.

Both children are under 16 and have zero income.

Did you have employment or self-employment income? Or did you attend school or do research (for which you received a grant)?

jwaneng
Returning Member

Yes, I did have employment income.

i also went back to previous returns where there were childcare expenses. In both cases they were not reflected on the return.

i have spoken to one of your tax experts. He was also unable to explain why this isn’t picked up.

when can I expect your experts to correct this problem as I want to submit my return.

We have requested a callback be done for you. If you do not get resolution please ask for an escalation so an investigation can be done.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.