Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a long last name, above 25 characters. Personal info shows invalid. How this can be fix?

I have a long last name (more than 25 characters). On the personal information screen it displays a message as "The information in this field is invalid. Either there are too many characters entered or the format is incorrect or the information is missing. Please review." How this can be fix? If I do not use the complete last name it won't match the information that CRA has.

5 Replies

I have a long last name, above 25 characters. Personal info shows invalid. How this can be fix?

Is it your first time filing a tax return with the CRA?

Yes.
kogila

no

@kogila - call the CRA to determine registered name with them.

The software allows for no more than 20 characters. Give the CRA a call and make sure of the correct name on file first. 

Here is their number - 1 800 959 8281.

But, because it is your first time filing you are going to have to print and mail your return anyhow as per the CRA, so it doesn’t matter you can print it, manually fix the name then mail it.