Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ROBPLO

I have to enter 2 years of medical expenses (2020, 2021). How and where do I add it into my return? Can I do this on the free online service, or a paid online service?

4 Replies

I have to enter 2 years of medical expenses (2020, 2021). How and where do I add it into my return? Can I do this on the free online service, or a paid online service?

You can only claim eligible medical expenses paid for a 12-month period ending in 2021. It can be any 12-month period, so you can claim unused expenses from 2020. However, you would not be able to claim anything from 2019 on your 2021 return.

If you are using TurboTax Online, you need to use Deluxe or higher to be able to claim medical expenses. Please see these TurboTax FAQs for more information:

Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

Who can file for free using TurboTax?

ROBPLO

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I have 2020 and 2021 medical expenses to claim (not from 2019).

So I can't claim 2020 at all? Just 2021?

Thanks - Rob.

ROBPLO

I have 2020 and 2021 medical expenses to claim (not from 2019).

So I can't claim 2020 at all? Just 2021?

Thanks - Rob.

As I said before, you can claim eligible medical expenses paid for a 12-month period which must end in 2021. So, if you wish to claim 2020 expenses, you can do so. You would just need to adjust your claim period so that it includes your 2020 expenses. 

For example, if you had expenses on the following dates:

January 30th 2020 

August 3rd 2020

December 1st 2020

January 2nd 2021

You could claim all of these by setting your claim period to be January 30th 2020 to January 30th 2021. 

If you had an additional expense from March 21st 2021, that would be excluded by this claim period, but you may be able to use it next year. Or you may choose to change the claim period so that it includes March 2021, but drops the January 2020 expense, as it may be more beneficial, depending on the actual expense amounts.