Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amx_reid

Can I input into Turbo Tax my full medical expenses, even though come review time it warns me I have claimed 5% of my net, thus leading to a possible audit?

Turbo tax does calculate and submit only the 3%, however if I go ahead and only claim my 3% of net or which ever is less, Turbo Tax submits an even lower number. I looked at last years summary and my net was less but I submitted a higher amount for medical and I never got audited.
1 Reply

Can I input into Turbo Tax my full medical expenses, even though come review time it warns me I have claimed 5% of my net, thus leading to a possible audit?

The warning you receive about claiming your Medical Expenses is designed to bring it to your attention that your claim does exceed 3% of your Net Income. This does not mean you will be audited, it just means that CRA quite often requires the taxpayer to submit documentation to support their claim for Medical Expenses.

This FAQ link from TurboTax explains in greater detail how your income affects your Medical Expense claim: How does my income affect how much I can deduct for medical expenses?

You can rest assured that TurboTax is performing the correct calculations for this credit and is advising you that you may want to double-check your entries to ensure you have not made any incorrect entries.