Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter Nova Scotia refundable tax credit

How do I enter Nova Scotia children's sports and arts refundable tax credit
5 Replies

In Easy Step mode the Nova Scotia Children's Sports and Arts Credit is under Claim Dependant Credits. If you are using Forms mode in TurboTax CD/Download it’s on the bottom half of the Dependant pop-up screen.

@TurboTaxSusan 

Please see screenshots. The amount is entered and clearly says $500 on my return (Joanne). I have two children so did this twice. But then on the summary page it says $0 provincial tax credits. Please advise.

562C0661-ED00-4EFE-A6F2-F196435931F9.jpeg

B266B488-7A5E-4B03-A8E4-73EF03757E71.jpeg

It's not showing on the Provincial summary, but it is being added to the return.

It is included on line 47900 Provincial or territorial credits on the detailed tax summary. To see the detailed tax summary in TurboTax Online, click the first arrow below your estimated refund amount in the side panel, then select the option for View detailed tax summary. The Detailed Summary page will appear. Scroll to the very bottom and look at line 47900 Provincial or territorial credits. 

If you want to see the exact amount of the Nova Scotia Children’s Sports and Arts Tax Credit, you can get a PDF of your tax return, and look at the NS479 form. This TurboTax FAQ tells you how to save/print a copy of your tax return in TurboTax Online: How do I print/save a copy of my return in TurboTax Online?

FYI: The $500 is the maximum expense that you can claim per each child. As, you can see on the actual NS479 form, the amount of your expenses is multiplied by 8.79% to generate your actual credit.