Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfiebig

Private Medical plans - the amount I paid in private medical plans through work is on my T4 (box 85). Do I also put this amount under Medical deductions?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Private Medical plans - the amount I paid in private medical plans through work is on my T4 (box 85). Do I also put this amount under Medical deductions?

If your premiums are included in Box 85 of your T4, do not enter them again in Medical Expense Profile.

You will see the amount from Box 85 in the Medical Expense Summary as shown in the attached screenshot.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If your premiums are included in Box 85 of your T4, do not enter them again in Medical Expense Profile.

You will see the amount from Box 85 in the Medical Expense Summary as shown in the attached screenshot.

My husband has the lower income, and therefore gets to claim medical expenses. But I have a Box 85 amount on my T4 slip.

Can I use the amount in box 85 as a medical expense on his return instead of  reporting it under my own T4 on my return?

Thanks

The amount in Box 85 on a T4 is automatically included in your total medical expenses. So, if you choose to put the medical expense on your husband’s return, everything will go to him, even what’s in Box 85.