Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
artco2009

Can i deduct my medical premiums i paid in to benefit plan adminstrators atlantic. i asked last year they said i could not as it is a trust

I pay 135.00 per month for medical health insurance. can i deduct these premiums. its with benefit plan administrators limited halifax i asked a freind and he said i couldnt as its set up as a trust.

1 Reply

Can i deduct my medical premiums i paid in to benefit plan adminstrators atlantic. i asked last year they said i could not as it is a trust

The following information from CRA states that your premiums are not deductible if the trust pays them. If they pay them, your employer does not include them as a taxable benefit to you and you cannot claim a medical expense deduction. 

From this CRA link: https://bit.ly/2FxyuWQ
Contributions to a private health services plan

1.35 Contributions made by a health and welfare trust to a private health services plan are specifically excluded from employment income by subparagraph 6(1)(a)(i). The benefits received by an employee under a private health services plan are also not taxable. Private health services plan premiums, contributions, or other consideration paid for by the trust cannot be claimed by an employee under paragraph 118.2(2)(q) as eligible medical expenses.

If you are paying these premiums out of your own pocket, you can claim them as a medical expense.