Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, for Québec Line 447 and Schedule K is it correct that: Tip: You can claim the premium paid as a medical expense on next year's return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, for Québec Line 447 and Schedule K is it correct that: Tip: You can claim the premium paid as a medical expense on next year's return?

Yes the tip is true. Are you looking to claim it on next year's return? Or did you want to claim it this year?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes the tip is true. Are you looking to claim it on next year's return? Or did you want to claim it this year?

cnotik

isnt it added automatically? for example, on my T4,R1 slips, i have my 1610$ i paid to the private insurance group plan. does it get added to medical expenses, or does it go somewhere else?
rhino2

Amounts reported on T4 and RL1 slips are automatically added - see my answer.
rhino2

The tip is confusing, as a premium payable to the Quebec Prescription Drug Insurance Plan is automatically claimed as a medical expense by TurboTax for the provincial return on which it is paid (i.e. the amount payable on your 2014 return is claimed for 2014 - contrary to the tip), but carried forward for the following year on your federal return (i.e. the amount payable on your 2014 return would be claimed for 2015 - as per the tip). So the tip is federally correct and provincially incorrect.

Premiums paid by the employee to private plans and reported on T4 and RL1 slips are automatically added to medical expenses on federal and Quebec returns respectively. Premiums paid by the employer to private plans are ignored for federal income tax purposes, and do not appear on the T4. They are included in income as a taxable benefit on the RL1 (Box J) and automatically claimed as a medical expense on the Quebec return.