Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcmlhaley

Why am I not prompted to claim Nova Scotia Children's Sports and Arts Refundable Tax Credit for 2022, event though I have children and live in NS?

This shows up in the "What's new in taxes section", but I'm never seeing it as an option to claim against, even though Turbotax is recognizing that I have children and live in NS. I am seeing the CAI, which will be new to NS this year, so clearly new benefits are there...
2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why am I not prompted to claim Nova Scotia Children's Sports and Arts Refundable Tax Credit for 2022, event though I have children and live in NS?

In Easy Step mode the Nova Scotia Children's Sports and Arts Credit is under Deductions > Claim Dependant Credits (in the left side menu ≡). If you are using Forms mode in TurboTax CD/Download it’s on the bottom half of the Dependant pop-up screen.

View solution in original post

Yes you can claim a Children's Fitness Amount in Nova Scotia as seen in the image below. First go to your menu on the left and click on Deductions then Claims for Dependants and Claims for Dependants Intro. Follow the prompts below.

Claims for Dependants > Get Started
then answer to......
Would you like to review or claim any of these credits? YES

The credit is not listed in the list above, but you have to say yes anyway. Even though it also clearly says "Note: Children’s fitness and arts tax credits vary by province. If they are available in your province, you’ll be able to enter these amounts later."

You still need to say yes.

Then when you click on "Enter Credit Info" for each child under "Children's sports and arts tax (provincial credit only)".

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

In Easy Step mode the Nova Scotia Children's Sports and Arts Credit is under Deductions > Claim Dependant Credits (in the left side menu ≡). If you are using Forms mode in TurboTax CD/Download it’s on the bottom half of the Dependant pop-up screen.

KD_NS

How do I claim the new NS Children's Sport and Art credit?  It is not coming up anywhere for me and the answers here don't seem to help.  :(

@KD_NS Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

mcmatthew

I am having the same issue using Turbo Tax online. NS resident with children. When I search under Deductions > Claims for Dependants, the Sports and Arts Tax Credit does not show up. It is similarly not listed under the Provincial Tax Credits. Anyone have any luck with this?

@mcmatthew Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

mcmatthew

I am using TurboTax Online. Have filed everything else on it successfully but still looking for that particular tax credit. 

@mcmatthew Were the children under 19 years of age at the end of the tax year?

mcmatthew

Yes they are. 

Yes you can claim a Children's Fitness Amount in Nova Scotia as seen in the image below. First go to your menu on the left and click on Deductions then Claims for Dependants and Claims for Dependants Intro. Follow the prompts below.

Claims for Dependants > Get Started
then answer to......
Would you like to review or claim any of these credits? YES

The credit is not listed in the list above, but you have to say yes anyway. Even though it also clearly says "Note: Children’s fitness and arts tax credits vary by province. If they are available in your province, you’ll be able to enter these amounts later."

You still need to say yes.

Then when you click on "Enter Credit Info" for each child under "Children's sports and arts tax (provincial credit only)".

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.