Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my simple tax return needs to be the Premier version not deluxe. I have income, charitable donations,simple medical expenses. Turbo says deluxe doesnt have all forms

Seriously !! I've used Intuit for 10years and now they do a poor job of telling you exactly what each product does / does not cover. Simple expenses ,simple income, no capital gains/losses and they essentially force you to upgrade.  Perhaps using CRA netFile is the better way for 2023.
6 Replies

Why my simple tax return needs to be the Premier version not deluxe. I have income, charitable donations,simple medical expenses. Turbo says deluxe doesnt have all forms

There might be donations in box 46 of your T4 or Employee-paid premiums (medical) in box 85 of your T4 which would require an upgrade to allow you to claim additional credits not included in the free version. Please see the list below enumerating what is or is not included in the free version.

Simple tax returns include:

Employment income

Pension income

Other employment income such as tips

RRSP contributions

Child care expenses

COVID-19 benefits and re-payments

Unemployment (EI) and social assistance

Worker’s compensation

Disability amount

Worker’s benefit

Amount for eligible/infirm dependents

Tuition, scholarships, bursaries, grants, student loan interest

Caregiver tax credit

Disability transfer

Home accessibility tax credit

Tax on RESPs and RDSPs

Tax installment payments

Age amount

Income, credits, and deductions not listed above are not covered by TurboTax Free, including:

Employment expenses (meals, lodging, etc.)

Donations

Medical expenses

Investment income and expenses

Rental property income and expenses

Self-employed income and expenses

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you for your response but it is my understanding as advertised that Deluxe is not a FREE version. It was listed for $21.00  I am not expecting to use  free software but from past experience of using Premier I know I do not have the need for it.
I am retired and have only CPP, OAS , RIF , RRSP income. None of these T4 slips have the boxes you mention and I never indicated in the preliminary questioning section that I had employment income. For the past 3 years I’ve not had employment income. Best check the Turbotax software , if it thinks I did this year.
When I clicked on the Deluxe version , at the screen saying I had to upgrade , the popup list of coverage by Deluxe indicated it covered every income and expense deductions I required.

Sorry if i sound a little warm under the collar.
So , I would ask , please tell me why Deluxe (not a free version) is not a satisfactory product for my use.

Do you have bank interest? This would be considered investment income.

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Yes , the only box ( 13 ) Interest from Canadian Sources  ( Bank account interest ) has a value.  A case of adding the amount to my overall income. Done. No fancy calculations needed by the software. No Dividends or Dividend tax credits or Capital Gains dividends values in the other boxes which i can understand would require further schedules and computations to deal with.

The "interview" questions can easily be selective to ask "Is only value in box 13" .  No then need Premier , Yes then Deluxe is suitable.

Discussing the matter with a competitor of Intuit , their deluxe version does allow T5 entry if only box 13 has a value.

Will Intuit meet their competitors products ?

Unfortunately, for the 2023 tax year, entering a T5 slip is only supported by TurboTax Premier Online or TurboTax Self-Employed Online. It may change in future tax years, but not for 2023.

However, I will pass on your comments to our product development team.

Thank you for your input.

So basically anyone who as a savings account (which is pretty much everyone) cant use TurboTax basic then? what a joke