Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahaila1

Amount don't match from Turbotax to CRA

I filed my taxes and submitted electronically through turbo tax. An hour later I logged into my CRA account to set up a payment and it says an additional $1000 dollars is owed. Thats a HUGE difference. I'm wondering if this was some sort of glitch when it was uploaded to CRA since it was an immediate change. It's like it could have been reviewed already. I'd like to know how to get this figured out.

2 Replies
cyadav
Returning Member

You can submit a claim for TurboTax Accuracy Guarantee. Please refer to the following article for details on how to submit the claim:

How to submit claim for Accuracy Guarantee? 

JustinC1
Returning Member

The reasons for these discrepancies may vary, and can range from very simple (typo or data entry error, forgotten slip, receipt, amount, etc) to complex (carry-forward amounts not included, accounting errors, etc).

The CRA collects and maintains your tax information, and they may already have some of your tax slips for the current year (for example, T4 slips submitted to the CRA by your employer,) as well as other tax-related information from previous years (such as carry-forward amounts, RRSP limits, etc.). When filing your taxes, the CRA considers all of this information in totality in making their assessment.

Verifying the source of discrepancy between your NOA and the tax return you filed

In most cases, the CRA will explain how they calculated your tax refund or balance owing, and you can find this information on your Notice of Assessment (NOA), under the heading Explanation of changes and other important information. Compare the line numbers on your NOA and their corresponding values with those entered into TurboTax. If you used the TurboTax online edition, use the printed or PDF copy of the tax return you filed using TurboTax or the detailed summary page of your tax return to do the comparison. If you need clarification or have any concerns, contact CRA.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.