Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCA Class for a 3D printer

Can someone please help me figuring out what class a 3D printer falls into?

Also I bought two 3D printers at the same time and then the next month another two. Do I put the cost of each printer separately into CCA or can I put the total value of the printers from that month?

// EDIT

I use my printers to manufacture parts for sale.

8 Replies

You would use Class 8 for your 3D printers. If you can, you may wish to enter them separately as they may be replaced at different times of the tax year and it will be easier to indicate this in the future.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you Ginette,

Maybe I'll give more details about the process.

I'm using 3D printers to make finished goods from raw material. 

The cost of a 3D printers I own falls between $400 to $2000 CAD

I also bought a 3D scanner and I think it definitely fits in Class 50

Any thoughts on that?

Yes, you should use Class 8  as seen in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link: "Class 8 (20%)

Class 8 with a CCA rate of 20% includes certain property that is not included in another class. Examples are furniture, appliances, and tools costing $500 or more per tool, some fixtures, machinery, outdoor advertising signs, refrigeration equipment, and other equipment you use in the business.

Photocopiers and electronic communications equipment, such as fax machines and electronic telephone equipment, are also included in Class 8.

" To verify and clarify the class to use for your scanner, you may wish to contact the CRA by calling       1-800-959-8281. 

OK, so I called the CRA and after multiple transfers and over an hour of total wait time I got connected with a senior CRA agent and said after checking that:

3D printers and 3D scanners go into Class 8 of the CCA.

Thank you for that update. I will edit our past posts for other clients in the future. 

richbee

I'm wondering why this wouldn't be class 53. Machinery to be used for manufacturing or processing of goods for sale. 

@richbee 

Kornel said they got the information from the CRA, so you would have to contact them to ask what their reasoning is. 

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

@richbee 

@TurboTaxSusan 

That's what I was told by senior CRA agent. 

I figured, if he says so then it must be correct.