Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dementia-abm
Returning Member

Entering Section 199A Dividends from a 1099-DIV in a Canadian Tax Return?

I have a 1099-DIV form from Vanguard which has a non-0 Section 199A dividends entry. 

I am a dual citizen and am currently filing my Canadian taxes using Turbo tax. Does anyone know where to enter this information in the Canadian Turbo tax form? I normally enter 1099-DIVs in the foreign income section, but it isn't immediately obvious where I enter this info (or if I even need to enter this information).

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies

Are you using TurboTax Online or the Download version?

dementia-abm
Returning Member

Online version

You will be entering this information by clicking on the Find icon at the top right and writing foreign to then highlight Foreign Income and click GO. You will need to enter the amounts in Canadian currency.

Please see our TurboTax article for further information: Common USA Tax Forms Explained & How to Enter Them on Your Canadian Tax Return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dementia-abm
Returning Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I already know that I need to enter the 1099-DIV into the foreign income section (I always put the Total Ordinary dividends as the foreign income). However I noticed that there is a non-0 value in 'Section 199A-Dividends' - does this need to be entered somewhere in the form, and if so, under which box in the Foreign Income section of Turbo tax?

You may wish to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to clarify this information. Please call them at  1-800-959-8281 to make sure it is done correctly.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dementia-abm
Returning Member

Just to close the loop on this question. I spoke to the CRA and they didn't think this section was relevant for my situation, as it is for qualified business income deduction, while this is just a personal tax return and I have no businesses.

One other question though, regarding this:

You will need to enter the amounts in Canadian currency.

Turbo Tax online has a place to enter in an exchange rate. Can you confirm that I can use this? I.E. enter in the foreign income in USD, and enter in the USD / CAD exchange rate from last year? Will Turbo Tax automatically translate the income into CAD?

No, TurboTax won't do the currency conversion. If you know the conversion rate then you can enter it, but it's not necessary to fill in that box.