Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denis51
Returning Member

First filing with Revenu Quebec - netfile issue

I am trying to file my first return to Revenu Quebec using their Netfile System. Although I have indicated during the process that it is my first time filing in Quebec, it is asking me for a previous notice of assessment code from Revenu Quebec which I, of course, do not have. What can I do?

The issue is not with the CRA Netfile (that one worked) but rather the Revenu Quebec one.

9 Replies
Moussi2

Most first-time filers can’t use NETFILE as the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) doesn’t have their personal information on file yet. You will have to print and mail your returns this year. Next year they will be able to NETFILE.

To print a return to mail-in TurboTax CD/Download EasyStep Mode, select File > NETFILE or Print from the bottom of the left side menu. You will need to run the review before it will allow you to proceed. Continue through the pages until you get to the “[Name], you are ready to file” page, and then click “Start”. Select “I want to print & mail my return” and then click “Continue”. Continue through the pages until you get to the “Print and mail your CRA return. You're nearly done!” There you will have the option to print a version of your return that is required to send to the CRA. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

denis51
Returning Member

The issue is not with CRA's netfile (that one worked fine) but rather with the Revenu Quebec electronic filing system.  Any idea how to enable an electronic submission with RQ?

When you try to file your RQ return what error message does it give you?

denis51
Returning Member

Turbotax asks for a 2021 or 2022 Revenu Quebec notice of assessment number which I do not have as it is the first time I am filing with them.   I have also clearly indicated when preparing the return that this is the first time I am filling with Revenu Quebec.  The error shows as 1 - Notice of assessment number is incorrect

You do not need to enter any number there- make sure you keep it blank.  This is just optional.

denis51
Returning Member

I wish it was the case. Turbotax will not netfile it without it.20240411_144902 (002).jpg

Please click on back and clear your cache/cookies, sign out of your return and restart your computer to see if this helps.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

denis51
Returning Member

I did as suggested and still get the same result.  Turbotax says that it is preparing to send to Revenu Quebec, then it brings me to the screen that asks for the notice of assessment (as per picture) and after clicking on the NetFile my return button, it brings me back to the screen asking for the notice of assessment number like the picture.

Have you applied for any benefits from the Quebec government? If so, check any documents they may have sent and see if there is a notice of assessment number on them.

If not, I would contact Revenue Quebec and ask why their NETFILE system is asking you for a notice of assessment number even though it's your first time filing.