Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Intuit addressed the issue of extra lines in form T1135 for the 2023 TurboTax download version?

For many years TurboTax users, including myself, have been asking Intuit to upgrade the T1135 form and allow them to add additional lines as needed to each of the seven categories in Part B of the form. And every year the response by Intuit's tax experts has been the same: "I have forwarded a request to add extra lines to the T1135 form to our development team. However, a request like this, if it is acted upon, likely will not be completed this tax season." For unexplained reasons, Intuit clearly considers this issue, which is essential for many of those required to submit a T1135, not important enough to act upon, and thus it keeps ignoring this request.

As a long time user of TurboTax and its predecessors, I have been reluctant to switch to other tax software that has the option of adding extra lines in the T1135 form because I generally like the user-friendliness and versatility of TurboTax. But the hassle of the workaround options the Intuit tax experts have been suggesting, such as combining multiple items into 3 lines, netfiling the thus combined T1, and then mailing in a properly completed hard copy T1135, downloaded from the CRA website, is just not worth the trouble anymore.

Before I make the step to finally move away from TurboTax and purchase alternative Canadian tax software, I would like to know from Intuit if this long-standing issue with the T1135 form has finally been fixed for tax year 2023 (CD/download version for Windows).

Thank you. I look forward to receiving a positive response.

22 Replies

Has Intuit addressed the issue of extra lines in form T1135 for the 2023 TurboTax download version?

Can you please advise how many more lines you are requesting? They would like to see what can be done.

Hello TurboTaxBrenda,

I cannot give you an exact number of lines, since the individual requirements by TurboTax users vary widely. All I can tell you is that the fillable T1135 form that can be downloaded from CRA allows for at least 30 additional lines. And from reading posts by others I understand that UFile allows for at least 15 lines and StudioTax for at least 26. These numbers are no maximums, but people simply stopped adding lines. You may also want to check your own products as I have read that the T1135 in the online version of TurboTax does allow the addition of more lines.

They will try what they can for this season; if possible, next season will improve again.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

This is very encouraging news. When do you expect this update to be rolled out? And will the updated T1135 then be installed automatically if one already has purchased a CD or downloaded the 2023 TurboTax?

They have steps to take and will do what is possible this season.  Once completed, any updates to our TurboTax software will be included in what you have purchased. When you open your TurboTax, be sure to say "yes" for updates. Unfortunately, we can't advise which day this will be completed.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Dear TurboTaxBrenda,

I have the same problem. Any update on this issue?

Thank you

@antenne827 Unfortunately there is no update on this issue. 

strayfrog_ca
Returning Member

I can confirm that my print-out of the T1135 has insufficient lines. Despite being able to add upwards of 12 securities on the online version, they get truncated in the printout.  Can turbotax be relied upon to file the T1135 online or should I somehow file one separately?

IOW, if i can't be sure that TT can send a proper form, I have to remove all securities online and file my own.

Just to clarify, did you fill out all 12 lines but they never printed out? Or did only the lines that you filled get printed? If you're printing your return to mail it, please note that you will only see what you filled out. This is because the CRA requires a condensed version of your tax return for mailing purposes.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.