Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K_Chan

How can I change Turbo Tax payment setup when I'm filing as a couple but my husband is only employed, not employed and self-employed like me?

I need help or advice on how I can change my Turbo Tax payment settings so as not to pay for my husband's return as self-employed? 

We're filing together as a couple but my husband is only employed, not employed and self-employed like me?

I am willing to pay $60 for my self-employment return but I want to remove that or use the Free version or Standard for my husband since his is basic return (T4, RRSP, etc).

Help please!

3 Replies

How can I change Turbo Tax payment setup when I'm filing as a couple but my husband is only employed, not employed and self-employed like me?

Unfortunately, when filing a spousal return, the software charges for the most complicated version for both spouses, as it needs to include it's calculations in the spouse's return also. Both kinds of income and expenses are calculated on the combined returns simultaneously for the best outcome.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

K_Chan

Thanks for your response. Kindly put this forward as a possible enhancement of the software in the future since many families or couples fall under the same situation.

@K_Chan I have passed on your suggestion to our product development team. Thank you for your input.