Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I enter my spouses 2022 federal tax return (line 23600) without having the their done cause it needs the same information from me?

under spouses additional information it asks for net income from 2022 federal tax return (line 23600) but I can't finish any tax return for 2022 without this information. Is this a typo and is meant to be 2021 income? I don't understand as it won't let you continue without this information.
9 Replies

How can I enter my spouses 2022 federal tax return (line 23600) without having the their done cause it needs the same information from me?

If you are married, you will need to provide your spouse’s 2022 income even if you are preparing your returns separately. If you don’t know what it is, you can enter an estimate to continue your return. Then when your spouse has completed their return you can go back and put the correct income in before you file.

I get that. However, he needs my income to file and I need his to file. But we can’t get our income number until we each file. I don’t understand. 

This is why we recommend preparing your returns together with your spouse, so that TurboTax can just deal with these numbers in the background. And the CRA usually won't process one spouse's return until they get the other return too. 

However, if you can't file together, you don't need to go as far as filing the returns, you just need to enter all your income (and income related expenses) to get the Net Income amount.

chrisj888

This still doesn't make any sense.

You can't get line 23600 without at least one person filing.. but both returns are required to enter this information before filing.

My spouse and I have this problem too. Here's what we did:

1. We completed our TurboTax inputs separately and filled out all our tax info without filing and we simply put a rough estimate for Net Income.
  2. Once we did that, we saw what each of our "Net Income" values was.
  3. Then we went to the start of the Turbotax process and updated the values.

In our case, we're not doing anything like income splitting, so maybe this is easier for us, but... Hopefully that helps!

BillNo

Turbotax is making it difficult for people to file separately.  Was a lot easier when they showed the line numbers at the end.

If you do not have the exact amount, the Canada Revenue Agency suggests that you do your best to estimate the amount.  It is important to enter it because it is used to calculate certain credits that you may or may not be entitled to claim. You can return to edit the entry once her return is completed.

Please see the image below to view the Detailed summary which shows you the lines in your return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

mbragdon

Would be great to include this tip on the form itself.  

@mbragdon I have passed on your suggestion to our product development team. Thank you for your input.