Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxt16

Im filing for the first time this year and did my 2022 return first. When i tried to do my 2023 return after it said its still my first time filing.

I filed my 2022 return almost 3 weeks ago by netfile and it still hasn't arrived. what should i do?
7 Replies

Im filing for the first time this year and did my 2022 return first. When i tried to do my 2023 return after it said its still my first time filing.

Did you receive a confirmation number from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) when you Netfiled your 2022 return? You can verify the status of your return in your CRA MyAccount if you have one. You can also call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Please see our TurboTax FAQ: How can I check on the status of my tax return?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

maxt16

I got an email with a netfile confirmation number if thats what you're talking about.

Please go back to the beginning of your 2023 return and follow the instructions on the images below for the software you are using. You can then change your answer to NO you are not filing for the first time.

TURBOTAX ONLINE

TURBOTAX DESKTOP/DOWNLOAD

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

maxt16

I did that however when i try and send the netfile i get an error saying that I am filing for the first time on the cra records

@maxt16 Have you gotten your notice of assessment for your 2022 tax return? If not, you may have to wait until you get it.

maxt16

No i have not and its been 15 business days. Thats the problem I'm running into, are delays like this common? I read that it takes about 8-10 business days. I'm worried it wont arrive before April 30th and I wont be able to file my 2023 return.

@maxt16 You can contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and ask what the status is on your 2022 return.

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency