Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to claim workers benefit after dropping out of college?

Without getting into too much detail, I unfortunately had to drop out of college less than 3 months in to my program due to health issues. 

I am (or at least was) eligible to receive a large chunk of money from the workers benefit. Upon putting in my information from my T2202A slip from the school, I was immediately disqualified from receiving the benefit due to 'being in school for over 13 weeks' when in reality I had dropped out the first week of November with doctor's notes and school records showing this and my reasoning behind having to leave my program. 

I understand asking this is a long shot. It's really upsetting to see this year's return go from being well over $1000 to almost less than $200 even when claiming medical expenses. Is it possible to still somehow prove I wasn't enrolled past 13 weeks to the government and if so, would it be better for me to file with a professional at this point rather than doing it myself through the program? 

Thank you in advance and I apologize for such silly questions- I'm still very new to filing myself and having things such as school to worry about on my claims.

1 Reply

Is it possible to claim workers benefit after dropping out of college?

For clarification about applying for the Canada Workers Benefit, you should call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281. This issue will have to be sorted with the CRA before it can be properly entered in your return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.