Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GURMAN

Moving from Quebec to Ontario Mid year

Hello, 

I was  living in Quebec until June 2022 and moved to Ontario in July 2022.

While living in Quebec, I was working for a Quebec employer for January and February 2022.

However, from March 2022 onwards I started working for an employer in Ontario, One of the stipulations in my new contract was to re-located to Ontario. However, because of Covid/Hybrid I continued to work in Ontario from Quebec until June 2022 and finally moved to Ontario in July 2022.

I want to know that do I need to file a Quebec income tax return along with CRA tax return?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Garry

8 Replies

Yes, since you were a resident of Quebec and earned income there during the first half of 2022, you will need to file a Quebec income tax return in addition to your federal tax return (CRA tax return) for the tax year 2022.

As a resident of Quebec, you are required to file a provincial tax return if you earned any income in Quebec during the tax year. You will need to report your income earned in Quebec from January to June 2022 on your Quebec income tax return, and your income earned in Ontario from July to December 2022 on your federal tax return and your Ontario income tax return.

For more information please see Canada Revenue Agency Website.  Provincial residence

For more information please see our TurboTax Website.  The tax implications of living in Québec and working in Ontario

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

GURMAN

So, I need to file income tax with Quebec even though I was not a resident on 31-December-2022?

So, do i need to do the Revenue Quebec income tax return manually or is it possible via Turbo tax?

Because the first Question that Turbo tax asks is which province were you a resident of on 31st of December 2022?

You will complete your return using TurboTax. It will allow you to enter both Ontario and Quebec information as you enter your information slips. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hello! I am in the same situation, I worked in Quebec from January to July for a Company in Montreal and moved to Ontario in September.

Turbotax does not give me the option of filling my taxes for Quebec. What should I do ?

I have a Relevé 1 (RL-1) what should I do with it ?

ratioman

Same here.  I selected the election of having a RL1, but in the following steps, I can't locate the option to general tax return for quebec or input interprovincial tax credit 

TurboTax only lets you select one province per return. So if you need to do both an Ontario & a Quebec return, then you will need to do 2 separate TurboTax returns - one where you choose Ontario as your province, and then one where you choose Quebec. You will end up preparing your Federal return twice, but you only need to submit it once (with the Ontario return).

Please see this post from TurboTax Ginette on how to enter a Relevé 1 (RL-1) when you don’t live in Québec: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/importing-data/discussion/re-i-have-3-t4s-that-import...

ratioman

with this, would the provincial tax paid in Quebec get credit for provincial tax in Ontario?

ratioman

Got it~!  Thanks.  

I found the Quebec tax credit item in T4 breakdown.