Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jread123
Returning Member

Line 32300: Your Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts

After filling in all of my T2202 tuition information and finishing up my taxes with TurboTax, I looked at my Detailed Tax Summary. Line 32300 (Your Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts) is listed as $0. I double-checked to make sure that my tuition information was submitted correctly. Why is this line showing up with $0?

6 Replies

The tuition credit is a non-refundable credit, meaning that the credit can only be used to reduce your tax bill and it won’t generate a refund. Line 32300 will be zero if none of the credit is being used to reduce your taxes owing. If you aren’t able to use all or part of the credit, any unused credits can be carried forward to a future tax year.

jj-harris

Can you put that in plain English please ?

So the tuition amount I paid can only be used to reduce what I may owe in taxes after all deductions are applied? Example before entering tuition and books (live in Manitoba don't know where I add the $$ for books) 

I am getting a refund of say $1500. does that mean it will be $0 and not increase the refund?

Further if the above is the case, can I carry that amount (if so how) to 2020 with the same conditions?  How is this tracked or is it done automatically

Basically as a student the government changed this in 2017 (liberals) to remove this credit or refund?  

jj-harris

We live in Manitoba which I understand has or allows textbooks to be claimed also ? 

What are the differences between federal amount and provincial amount?  if the above statement is correct do I only add in the textbook amount (and any other eligible expenses - public transport???) in the provincial box?

The transfer is from our son to either my spouse or me depending on best tax situation - net. 

This not explained well anywhere I can find.....

Tuition credit is a non-refundable tax credit, what this means for you is if you are already getting a refund, the credit would not be applied as tuition credit does not increase your refund. It is applied against your taxes payable to reduce the amount paid to the CRA.

The maximum tuition transfer credit allowed from your son is $5000. The link below from the CRA explains Manitoba tuition credit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/tax-packages-years/general-incom...

I have textbook expenses that turbo tax won't allow me to input. I clicked on the extra help (See below) but Nova Scotia isn't listed in either category. Please help. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Text from help page

Provinces that offer an education and/or textbook credit:
  • Alberta
  • Manitoba
  • Newfoundland & Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nunavut
  • Prince Edward Island
Provinces that do not offer an education and/or textbook credit:
  • British Columbia
  • New Brunswick
  • Ontario
  • Saskatchewan
  • Nunavut
  • Yukon

@amandacate There is no textbook credit in Nova Scotia.