Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
etm20

Message from the CRA: CRA Result Code: 21 The Canada Revenue Agency was unable to accept your return, as your NETFILE Access code did not match our records.

I have tried and still nothing is working , how do fix it, it is showing an error with one of the bursaries I have received
11 Replies

Message from the CRA: CRA Result Code: 21 The Canada Revenue Agency was unable to accept your return, as your NETFILE Access code did not match our records.

Make sure you have the correct NETFILE Access Code (NAC). It's an 8-character alphanumeric code found in the upper-right hand corner of your Notice of Assessment (NOA).

If it is correct, try filing your return without it, as it's optional.

its not letting me ignore it. it says this :

Message from the CRA:

CRA Result Code: 21

The Canada Revenue Agency was unable to accept your return, as your NETFILE Access code did not match our records.

Please compare what you have entered with the access code shown on your notice of assessment.

You have 2 options:

• Recommended - Try NETFILE again in a few minutes.

Please note: You only have 5 attempts to NETFILE your return before the CRA will lock you out.

If the problem persists, please contact TurboTax Customer Support for assistance.

• Print and mail your return to the CRA.

i have used 2 attempts

I am getting that also, I tried re-entering the code, and it didn't work. I may just mail it in. And it's impossible to speak to someone from Turbotax.

i went to the cra site to check my notice of assesmens over the past few years. i had been using the netfile access code from 2021 and it didnt work. i tried the most recent in 2022 that i had in last years assesment and thar one worked.

Thanks, I couldn't find what you mentioned 

it should be at the top of your notice of assesment letter from 2022. in the top right corner before the start the letter

@bluejays972  Yes, you are correct- you must enter your access code exactly how it shows it on the top of your 2022 Notice of Assessment. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

In 2021, usingg Netfile, my wife's return was easily accepted. After many tries and trips to the TurboTax community, I could not find a solution and submitted a paper return for me.

In 2022, I found neither return was accepted, as the CRA did not like the Access Code I used. I had obtained the access codes from CRA My Account, after I filed the 2021 returns. The Assessment report from CRA My Account was dated April 15, 2021.

I went back to our CRA My Accounts and found new Access Codes which were accepted.

Lesson learned: Verify the Access Code from CRA My Account and make sure it came from the previous year's return. Don't assume it remains the same from year to year.

What went wrong? I have used the CD versions of TurboTax for many years. This year I bought the online version from Costco. Nothing but frustration! First problems were how to return to software. Bugger all saved on my PC.  No file saved nor any useful hint as to how to reopen the software. I entered all information for me and my wife, printed out results and year over years. Thought I should wait a few more days in case a last minute T-slip arrived. When I accidently re-opened whatever from the cloud, I completed everything to CRA for my return, but my wife's tax would not transmit. Said I must submit everything on paper. Service Canada no longer has any paper forms. I am sending CRA a **bleep**load of stuff including all of my printouts from TurboTax. I don't need this. My wife passed away two weeks ago!