Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aprilbeep
Returning Member

T4A(P) No. of Months disability vs retirement

I received each for 12 months but it won't let me put more than 12 months total for both together. Do I put 6 months each? I got it for 12 though.

1- Do you have one or two information slips?

2- If you have only one slip, do you have an amount in box 14 and also in box 16?

3- When did the amount of income change for you? Did you receive disability only in a certain month and retirement income in the other month?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Aprilbeep
Returning Member

I got one with only an amount in box 14 and 12 in box 23. Then I got an amendment with amounts in box 14 and 16, but nothing in box 21 or 23. I don't remember when I got the disability payments but I can't put 12 in box 23. It wants me to have a number in box 21 and they can't add up to more than 12. It doesn't make sense.

1- You only use the amended information slip as it replaces the first one.

2- Because you have an amount in each box 14 and box 16, you need an amount in each of 21 and 23

3- This means that you either have to call the CPP people at 1-800-277-9914 to find out how many months of disability or retirement you have received or you can verify your bank account to see when the amounts changed and enter the number of months for each. You may even be able to view the amounts through your MSCA (My Service Canada Account) if you have one.

4- The number in box 21 and box 23 cannot add to more than 12 months.

Aprilbeep
Returning Member

Ok. Thanks

But I did have retirement for the whole year so the number would be 12 for that. If I got the disability starting in say June I can't put 7 months for that and 12 for retirement. So I would only be able to put 4, but I got it for the whole year.

No it would have to be 5 and 7. They cannot add up more than 12. Some months were probably only disability then it changed to retirement after 65?

Aprilbeep
Returning Member

No that's not the case as I will only be 65 later this year. I started getting CPP retirement before 2023.

Ok you will need to find out from CPP or your bank account statements when the amount changed.

Thank you.

BG4968
Returning Member

I am having the same challenge.

Collected both disability and  retirement for 12 months but cannot report that without error from Netfile.

I tried 12 months for each and that was an error, 12 months disability, as per CRA and 0 retirement.....error.

0 and 0 produced another error, separate forms with 12 each, another error. 

I have only one more chance to submit. HELP!

BG4968
Returning Member

Could this be a glitch in TurboTax software? I did collect disability and pension for 12 months each. CRA indicated reporting only 12 months of disability.

Last year, same situation, both boxes were 0 and it processed.