Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4A(P) No. of Months disability vs retirement

I have a T4A(P) that contains both Retirement benefit and Disability benefit. It appears that the software expects you to have "No. of Months" filled in for both disability and retirement if this is the case. After calling and confirming with ServiceCanada, they have directed filling in only box 21 (disability) with 12 months. This leads to an error and prevents netfile from working.

Is this something I'm doing wrong?

21 Replies

Ensure that you've matched up the box with the number of months entered to the proper type of income.

Box 23 is how many months you received the amounts in Box 14 - retirement income. Box 21 is how many months your received the amounts in Box 16 - disability benefit. Please see the image below.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi,

The original T4A(P) I received only had a value in one of the month boxes (not both). I then received an amended T4A(P) that didn't have a value in either of the month boxes.

After calling ServiceCanada, they have directed that box 21 should be filled in with 12 months, and nothing for box 23.

Not sure how to proceed with ServiceCanada only providing a value for one of them.

Is your income in box 16 or in box 14?

There are amounts specified in both boxes, but I'm being told by the slip provider to enter 12 months in disability months and 0 in retirement months, which TurboTax flags as an error.

If you were receiving both disability & retirement benefits, then you should have 12 months in both box 21 & 23.

But if it's not letting you file that way, try entering your disability as one T4A(P), then your retirement as another T4A(P).

Aprilbeep
Returning Member

• I am having the same problem. I tried doing 2 separate T4Ap's and putting 12 months for each and it still won't let me file. It says you can't have more than 12 months total.

Ensure that you've matched up the box with the number of months entered to the proper type of income.

Box 23 is how many months you received the amounts in Box 14 - retirement income. Box 21 is how many months your received the amounts in Box 16 - disability benefit. Please see the image below.

Aprilbeep
Returning Member

• I have retirement and disability income. But the number of months is blank for both. 

Enter the amount of months you believe you were receiving each amount.