Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5007 Workers' Compensation benefits

There are two Box 10 options to choose when entering a T5007: Workers' Compensation Benefits and Workers' Compensation Benefits (tax-exempt income).  How does one know which box to use?  Am using TurboTax Free Online version.

5 Replies

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires you to report your Worker's Compensation Benefits as income, but you do not pay income tax on WSIB benefits. Your WSIB benefits may affect some tax credits that you claim.  You need to fill out an amount in the first box in TurboTax.

Workers' Compensation Benefits (tax-exempt income) do not affect your income and credits it is used for information.  

tljenkins

with the two boxes there is a huge difference in the return that will be coming back to me. If i enter it in one box i get $100 refund. if i enter it in the other i get over $2000.  Why such a difference?

You would enter your amount in the first box 10 if you are a tax payer and the second box 10 only if you are tax-exempt.

Please see the example below in the link:

Statement of Benefits T5007

jmoore86

WCB benefits are non-taxable...does that mean tax exempt? It is unclear which line 10 to input the information and as said above, which line you enter significantly changes the return

Yes it means it is tax exempt. For information, please see the WSIB link: Income tax reporting and T5007 statements