Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which version of TurboTax to use

Hello,

About 5 years ago, I worked exclusively as a contractor for 3 years and used the TurboTax Self-Employed version to file taxes and continued to do so last year. In 2021, I went back to working on a permanent full time basis. I still have the sole proprietorship, but have not earned any income in the past few years. Also, my wife works part-time and earns relatively low income. Our son is now 19 years old and is also earning income from a part-time, minimum wage job.

I'd like to know which TurboTax version would best suit my current situation. While I previously filed my wife's taxes together with mine using TurboTax Self-Employed, I wonder if it would now make more sense to file hers (along with our son's) separately with the TurboTax Free version, because both their taxes are very simple and straightforward. Then for myself, continue to use Self Employed or Deluxe, if the latter has basic self-employed sections to fill out and donations, medical expenses, and employment expenses to claim. Or is it best to use Self Employed or Deluxe for all three of us.

Appreciate any insights or suggestions anyone may have.

Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you need the self-employment forms and are using TurboTax Online, then you need to use the Self-Employed version.

You can file your wife's return separately if she doesn't need the self-employment forms. But please be aware that pricing for TurboTax Online is not based on income, it is based on what you enter into your tax return. So even a low-income person might not be able to use Free. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Who can file for free using TurboTax?

For your son, if he is 25 or under and doesn't have a spouse/partner that is older, then he can use any version of TurboTax Online for free. You can read more about this offer here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/situations/young-filers-under-25

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you need the self-employment forms and are using TurboTax Online, then you need to use the Self-Employed version.

You can file your wife's return separately if she doesn't need the self-employment forms. But please be aware that pricing for TurboTax Online is not based on income, it is based on what you enter into your tax return. So even a low-income person might not be able to use Free. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Who can file for free using TurboTax?

For your son, if he is 25 or under and doesn't have a spouse/partner that is older, then he can use any version of TurboTax Online for free. You can read more about this offer here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/situations/young-filers-under-25