Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dahlia-p

Why do I have to pay to file my taxes just because I am on income assistance?

Last year I filed my taxes for free as usual, with one change, I was on disability for part of the year. This year I was 100% on disability and a popup-up appeared saying that because I am under 25 years old the price of deluxe filing is $15 instead of $25. Of course I don't care because I always select free and it said I could select this option in the payment section. Continued on and no option to select or opt out of the deluxe appeared. I tried this three times and could never find a way to opt out of paying for deluxe. I called the help line and after a long winded conversation (explained the same thing many times in many ways) I took the initiative to start another return to show the call centre the popup page. Only then was I told that because I am on income assistance and have a non T4 slip, I have to get deluxe. This is clearly a new policy this year and I am baffled that the lowest income demographic in Canada (people on disability receive income well below the Canadian poverty line each year) is expected to pay for a previously free service. I personally will not be continuing to use turbo tax, and I will go back to paper returns even though my previous one was lost in the mail and I had to redo it.

5 Replies

Could you clarify which information slip you are receiving? 

If you had any medical expenses, this would require an upgrade to allow you to claim additional credits not included in the free version. Please see the list below enumerating what is or is not included in the free version.

Simple tax returns include:

Employment income

Pension income

Other employment income such as tips

RRSP contributions

Child care expenses

COVID-19 benefits and re-payments

Unemployment (EI) and social assistance

Worker’s compensation

Disability amount

Worker’s benefit

Amount for eligible/infirm dependents

Tuition, scholarships, bursaries, grants, student loan interest

Caregiver tax credit

Disability transfer

Home accessibility tax credit

Tax on RESPs and RDSPs

Tax installment payments

Age amount

Income, credits, and deductions not listed above are not covered by TurboTax Free, including:

Employment expenses (meals, lodging, etc.)

Donations

Medical expenses

Investment income and expenses

Rental property income and expenses

Self-employed income and expenses

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dahlia-p

I have only my disability amount, T5007, No medical expenses. According to your list I qualify for the free version, and yet I am forced to pay with no option to remain on the free version.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dahlia-p

I already did, they said there was nothing they could do and that I have to pay. I am filing my taxes via paper this year. I am thoroughly disappointed in turbo tax and will not use your services in the future.

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.