Can pension splitting be calculated between a dece...

Can pension splitting be calculated between a deceased person and that person spouse?

I am completing a return for a deceased person and his spouse.  Ufile (Community Volunteer software) appears to indicate that both returns can be completed together but the deceased person return has to be mailed. I believe only the full version of Ufile allows for this.

So, I am questioning the legitimately of this and if I can do the same in Turbo.

Thank you, 

Dennis Walsh

This widget could not be displayed.

Seniors and students

Yes, you can split a pension with a deceased taxpayer in the year of death.

Turbo tax and many other software will not allow the returns to be prepared together because one spouse's marital status will be 'married' (At time of death) and the other spouse will be widow (Dec 31) 

You will have to manually calculate the best split. If the other spouse does not have pension income that qualifies for the pension income amount, the minimum recommended split is $2000 to maximize the pension income amount.

Seniors and students

Where or how can I declare the pension split on deceased person’s return? Can I manually request the appropriate schedule?

Seniors and students

Pension splitting can be performed in the year of death. It’s a pro-rated calculation based upon the date of death.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/pension-retirement/help/how-do-i-split-my-pension-inc...

You can click on "find" and type in split pension.