Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dennis_walsh
Returning Member

Can pension splitting be calculated between a deceased person and that person spouse?

I am completing a return for a deceased person and his spouse.  A competitor appears to indicate that both returns can be completed together but the deceased person return has to be mailed. I believe only the full version of the competitor allows for this.

So, I am questioning the legitimately of this and if I can do the same in Turbo.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can pension splitting be calculated between a deceased person and that person spouse?

Yes, you can split a pension with a deceased taxpayer in the year of death.

Turbo tax and many other software will not allow the returns to be prepared together because one spouse's marital status will be 'married' (At time of death) and the other spouse will be widow (Dec 31) 

You will have to manually calculate the best split. If the other spouse does not have pension income that qualifies for the pension income amount, the minimum recommended split is $2000 to maximize the pension income amount.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Yes, you can split a pension with a deceased taxpayer in the year of death.

Turbo tax and many other software will not allow the returns to be prepared together because one spouse's marital status will be 'married' (At time of death) and the other spouse will be widow (Dec 31) 

You will have to manually calculate the best split. If the other spouse does not have pension income that qualifies for the pension income amount, the minimum recommended split is $2000 to maximize the pension income amount.

Bren9766

Where or how can I declare the pension split on deceased person’s return? Can I manually request the appropriate schedule?

Pension splitting can be performed in the year of death. It’s a pro-rated calculation based upon the date of death.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/pension-retirement/help/how-do-i-split-my-pension-inc...

You can click on "find" and type in split pension. 

Mike W2

I'm trying to do a pension split to a spouse who passed away in March, 2022.

I can't get the "Number of months married or living common-law" — Box 68030 on form T1032 — to change from 12.  What do I have to enter so it changes to reflect the Date of Death?

Are you trying to do the returns together? They need to be done separately. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

DKL50

I understand that one has to split the returns when one of the couple has died.  With regard to the splitting of the pension, can this be done in TurboTax, or does "manually" mean one has to do this by hand calc (not in TT)...

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

DKL50

When I try to split income to my father's (who is deceased on 20221231) from my mothers return, I can't enter this on line 11600.  It won't allow me to enter anything.  It jumps to T1032, but as I am no longer linked to my mothers return since her status is widowed and my fathers status is married, I cannot get any split income to show up in TurboTax on line 11600 of my fathers return.  How can I send in this return electronically if I cannot perform the splitting of the income?

@DKL50 I'm sorry to hear of your loss. 

Both spouses need to include the T1032 on their returns when pension is to be split. So you will have to fill one out for your mother, and if you are using forms, the Pension Income Worksheet as well.