Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfindling

How can I reset my password and it actually change it? After I reset my password, it is not recognized the next time I sign on.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I reset my password and it actually change it? After I reset my password, it is not recognized the next time I sign on.

These are the most common reasons for having to reset your password every time you log into your online account:

• Trying to sign in with a username instead of an email, sometimes we create one or the other and forget that we have logged into the "username" account as opposed to the "email address" account or visa versa.
  •  Changed your phone number since you first created the account? Maybe it was created with a different phone number.
  •  Using a totally different email address when you created the account.

Then proceed with instructions below to ensure you are not prompted to reset your account again.  

Please refer to this link to assist you in resetting your password: How do I change my password in the online edition of TurboTax? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648030

you may also want to try a different browser, or clearing your browser cache. Instructions here: 

How do I clear my cache (browsing history)? - https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647843

View solution in original post

9 Replies

These are the most common reasons for having to reset your password every time you log into your online account:

• Trying to sign in with a username instead of an email, sometimes we create one or the other and forget that we have logged into the "username" account as opposed to the "email address" account or visa versa.
  •  Changed your phone number since you first created the account? Maybe it was created with a different phone number.
  •  Using a totally different email address when you created the account.

Then proceed with instructions below to ensure you are not prompted to reset your account again.  

Please refer to this link to assist you in resetting your password: How do I change my password in the online edition of TurboTax? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648030

you may also want to try a different browser, or clearing your browser cache. Instructions here: 

How do I clear my cache (browsing history)? - https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647843

gfindling

Been there, done that (different browsers, different computers, cache cleared, all of it). 🙂 FYI, I'm a software developer for 30+ years. I know how to reset passwords. Here is my actions:
Clear cache. Go to my 2018 return. Click forgot my userid or password. Enter in my email address. Get a text sent to my phone. Enter in the code. Enter password into notepad (so I can see it), and copy to clipboard. Paste password into password field and confirm password field (please note,I have also tried entering it directly, so please don't state that this is the issue). Signon is not successful. Click logoff. Close browser. Clear cache. Go to my 2018 return. Enter in email address. Paste back in password (so I KNOW it is correct) and I get the "Hmm. That didn't work".

I really don't want to have to go through the reset password process every time I want to sign on. Fixing this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
gfindling

Sorry, just re-read my comment. It should have stated that after I reset the password, the "Signon was successful" and I then clicked logoff. Sorry.

I am glad you got it figured out!  
gfindling

Hi TurboTaxLise,

I don't know how you read that my issue is figured out. I am still not able to sign onto my account without going through a reset password process every time. If that is getting it "figured out", then you and I have very different thoughts on how a successful signon should work. I have updated my actions to correct my typo above:

Clear cache. Go to my 2018 return. Click forgot my userid or password. Enter in my email address. Get a text sent to my phone. Enter in the code. Enter password into notepad (so I can see it), and copy to clipboard. Paste password into password field and confirm password field (please note,I have also tried entering it directly, so please don't state that this is the issue). Signon is successful. Click logoff. Close browser. Clear cache. Go to my 2018 return. Enter in email address. Paste back in password (so I KNOW it is correct) and I get the "Hmm. That didn't work".

Still cannot sign on with my updated password.

@gfindling - please go review my revised answer. Thank you
gfindling

Wow. Why state you can sign on with your email address, if you can't. Bad User Experience. Signing on with userid works.

@gfindling  - I'm glad that the options provided resolved your issue! Although the email may not have worked for you, it may work for someone else.  Moving forward, ensure you sign in using your userid instead.  Have a great day!