Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
If you are using the CD/download version of TurboTax and you're getting a TT805 error, please read

this message

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do I switch back from turbotax premier to turbotax standard?

I accidently selected an investmant option which prompted turbotax to force me to upgrade to the premier software model. In the end I did not need to utalize any extras features found in the premier model, is there any way to downgrade back to the standard model?   

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately there's no way to downgrade.
What you can do is create a new return by clicking, at the top right, Tools->Return Manager. In the window that pops up, click "Create a New Return".
Select Standard and then fill in your tax return as you did with your previous return.

You can still access your other tax return(s) by going back to the Return Manager.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately there's no way to downgrade.
What you can do is create a new return by clicking, at the top right, Tools->Return Manager. In the window that pops up, click "Create a New Return".
Select Standard and then fill in your tax return as you did with your previous return.

You can still access your other tax return(s) by going back to the Return Manager.

View solution in original post

This is a huge downfall to the program.  Now have to enter all of my information over again.  What a waste of time!

I just did the same thing. Clearly a money grab for people who are unwilling to start over again. Not impressed.

Yes this also happened to me, should be changed!

I agree.  The same thing has happened to me.  It should just revert back to Standard once you undo what upgraded you to Premier.  It's ridiculous and a waste of time to have to create a new return.

Sadly I have the same problem!

Same problem.

Assholes.

Probably should not have written "assholes" but this was the first thought that came to mind after reading this response after spending hours entering the info and then realizing that I didn't need the features of Premium at all. Hours.

So now what do I do? Start over? This is a ridiculous oversight, or a money grab. There is no excuse for such a stupid system that can't switch you back as effortlessly as you upgraded, if you didn't need the upgrade after all.

Unbelievable. I will look into an alternative filing system next year unless this is fixed.

Hours wasted.

That said, I still apologize for calling TurboTax folks assholes. That was a bit much.